If you’re not in a rush in the mornings trying to get ready for the day and out the door, please share your secret with me.
Our mornings are beyond hectic and I definitely struggle with getting something in everyone’s hands that’s satisfyingly warm but also easy to make. I’m kind of a stickler for homemade.
So that’s why I was so excited I came across this recipe from Vegan Gretchen for her Vegan Coffee Cake. It’s eggless, which you know I love, and the base doubles as the crumbled topping which cuts down on so much time but keeps that beautiful streusel moment on top, without the butter! I mean, it’s pure magic that it tastes this good without all the bad stuff.
I make this once a week, at least, for the kids’ breakfast and I love how much they love it. They think I’m feeding them dessert before school but in reality it’s a lot healthier than the butter and egg versions and, in my opinion, even more delicious.
And my secret to making it fast is to prepare the batter and the crumbled topping and store them separately the night before. If you read my blog, you know I live for a good cup of coffee. So in the morning, while I’m groggily waiting for that coffee to brew, I pour the batter into the 13×9, top with the crumbles and a little sprinkle of cinnamon and toss it in the oven. It’s warm out of the oven as the kids are coming downstairs which makes me feel like a rock-star-mom and the sweet cinnamon smell that wafts through the house doubles as the alarm clock so, win-win.
Give this a try Sunday night to bake off Monday morning. You’ll be glad you did and ready to tackle your day after a warm breakfast. And thanks to Gretchen for the recipe!
Coffee Cake by Vegan Gretchen
- 2½ Cups Flour
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon, plus more for topping
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Almond Milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- ¼ Cup Plain Coconut or Soy Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Finely Chopped Nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×11 or 8×8 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Sift flour, sugars, nutmeg, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and salt into a large bowl. Add oil and mix well until all oil is absorbed. Mixture will be crumbly. Take out 1 cup of mixture and set aside in a smaller bowl.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup stir together almond milk, yogurt, vinegar, vanilla extract, baking soda and baking powder. Stir until combined. Add this liquid mixture to the large bowl of the flour mixture. Mix well and then pour the batter into the greased pan.
- If using chopped nuts add them to the 1 cup of set aside crumble mixture. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the batter in the pan. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes for a 9×11 inch cake. If using a 8×8 inch pan cooking time will be 35-40 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.